Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified MD
28323552

I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and I am diagnosed with

Customer Question

Hi,I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and I am diagnosed with placenta previa.I would like to understand whether my baby is safe, and whether i will definitely bleed in time to come?In the case of bleeding, does it mean my baby has died? What are the chances of baby's survival for pregnant moms with placenta previa?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I used to have PVCs and did a catheter ablation last year.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.

At 20 weeks, a placentia previa is not something that I would worry about too much at the moment.

The reason why I say that is because as the uterus grows the placenta may shift to the side and may not be on the birth canal. All this requires ultrasound monitoring.

Even if the placenta previa remains on the birth canal it does not, at all, mean that you will bleed or your baby will die.

That would mean that you would certainly require a C-section i.e. you cannot deliver normally.

So the bot***** *****ne is that with good care and regular follow up you should be okay.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards