Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I started spotting on Sunday Xmas didn't start really

Customer Question

Hey I started spotting on Sunday Xmas didn't start really bleeding (my period till Tuesday ) my Normal period usually last 3-5 days tops I've been bleeding for 14 days now what do you think can be the problem
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Every couple days I have lower stomach pains body hurts !! .. my periods are very regular
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had numerous miscarriages in the past
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed an infection of the genital tract which can lead to the development of bleeding of this sort. The lower abdominal pain can also be indicative of this issue. This would also cause urinary symptoms anjd back pain in some situations. The diagnosis can be made with a clinical examination and also with the help of urine analysis, cultures. An abdominal and pelvic ultrasound would also be necessary and the treatment can be with antibiotics which should solve the problem in most cases.

Secondly considering that you have had miscarriges in teh past it would be worthwhile to get a pregnancy test done to see if this is not a very early miscarriage (especially if you have had unprotected intercourse in the recent past, if you havent then this is a less likely cause). Another cause of this could be polyps or growths inside the vagina or the cervix or even in the uterus. This would need to be evaluated with the help of a simple pelvic examination. Lastly this can also be due to a hormonal imbalance which can cause bleeding of this sort and also lower abdominal pain.

But considering the pain and also the persistence of bleeding i would STRONGLY suggest that you have this evaluated by visiting your doctor or if the symptoms are worsening go to the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/