Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a 40yo that underwent TAHBSO with lymph node

Customer Question

I am a 40yo that underwent TAHBSO with lymph node dissections and ommentectomy this summer for a 16cm Boarderline ovarian tumor.I am now on an estrogen patch but for the last couple years I have had vaginal itching and burning. I was just diagnosis with lichen sclerosis after being told I had herpes for 6 months. I have ulcerative colitis- is there any connections? My clitoris is almost gone- do I apply the lidex directly to that area also? Will I ever enjoy sex again?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Burning for a year or so and during intercourse the feeling of being torn.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: See above- ulcerative colitis, lichen scelrosis, Boarderline ovarian cancer
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 16 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 16 days ago.

your vaginal itching can be from low estrogen levels and vaginal atrophy. I know you are on the estrogen patch, but you may also benefit from vaginal estrogen creams and suppositories to help decrease vaginal itchiness and burning.

The exact cause of lichen sclerosus isn't known. An overactive immune system or an imbalance of hormones may play a role. overactive immune system can cauase ulcerative colitis as well.

herpes and the ovarian boarderline tumor are most likely not related

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do I apply the lidex ointment everywhere- even the clitoral area? Will this area rejuvenate as the lichen improves?
Expert:  Dr David replied 16 days ago.

lidex is the steroid cream which should be used for just the lichen area.

i would try a vaginal estrogen cream.