Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I had a positive culture hsv/vzv. First outbreak. Could this

Customer Question

I had a positive culture hsv/vzv. First outbreak. Could this be a new infection or dormant?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I was given valtrex 500mg 1 a day for 30 days and a refill to take only if there is an outbreak 1 tab twice daily x 3 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: First outbreak ever. I was treated for what was thought to be a yeast infection in Sept. Not sexually active since August.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

sorry about your first outbreak of herpes virus.

I take it is genital herpes?

are you male or female?

often times herpes can lay dormant for years and years and manifest and outbreak when your immune system is low and when you are not getting enough sleep.

it is difficult to impossible to know when you contracted the virus first. it could have been many years ago when you actually contracted the virus.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am afraid of any further sexual activity. And yes, it was genital. My hsv blood test was negative. I did not have an IgG or IgM . I have now requested one because my s/o hsv test was neg.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am female. The physical exam did not appear to be hsv.What other precautions should I take? Am I now more susceptible to Hiv?
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

you don't have to worry about HIV unless you do IV drugs or have unprotected vaginal or anal sex with strangers or drug users.

your prior tests were negative for herpes virus IgG and IgM? so you are getting this repeated now?

what was cultured if the physical exam did not appear to be herpes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am confused. If my blood test was neg and my s/o blood test was neg. Why would a tan colored lesion approx 1.3 x0.4 x 0.2 cm test pos. for HSV and VZV. I insisted on a culture because the lesion did not appear to be HSV to the examiner.
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

I would have the herpes culture test repeated.

it may be a false positive or the specimen could have been switched by accident.

viral cultures are sometimes not the most accurate.

herpes ulcers tend to be very painful and an ulcer on the skin.

did the valtrex help this tan color bump?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The bump was excised. The site then had to heal. My exam with a mirror showed what appeared to be white patches inside the labia. The patches only appeared after I had been on Valtrex for a week. Now, everything is healed except my fears. I want the blood work repeated because there is no lesion to culture now.
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

I see.

get the blood test repeated.

if that doesn't show antibodies, then the lesion could have been walled off and may not have caused systemic immune response

and you may not have herpes in your system in the rest of your body.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What precautions should I take now? I have not been able to discuss findings with my s/o. Just waiting now on repeat labs.
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

if your repeat blood IgG and IgM levels continue to be negative, you don't have herpes in your system, so you don't have to take precautions or take antivlral therapy to prevent him from contracting it

Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

do you have other questions?