Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

About a week ago when I pressed on my abdomen it hurt a bit.

Customer Question

Hello
About a week ago when I pressed on my abdomen it hurt a bit. As my sister had ovarian cancer (not BRACA) a few years ago my dr ordered a pelvic ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a 3cm simple fluid filled cyst.
The dr assures me they are completely common & normal and my cyst is 100% not cancerous.
I am on the pill (low dose) Microgynon 20 ed.
I have had 2 children and been on the pill for a decade.
In regards ***** ***** cyst - is there even a small
chance it could be cancerous or not? Are they common even on low dose pills?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thanks for the question, I had answered a question for you earlier too, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I see that you are concerned about the ovarian cyst whether it could develop in to cancer

Please see that most of the ovarian cysts are benign and they remain benign always

Means they never convert into cancer

I see your dr has mentioned to you the cyst you are having is 100% non cancerous, and if there was any chance of it becoming a cancerous cyst they would have certainly mentioned it to you

Most of the ovarian cysts are benign and the examples include follicular cysts, or corpus luteal cysts, etc and these cysts remain noncancerous always

Since your doctor has not mentioned to you about the risk of cancer in the future so it sounds like the cyst you are having must be a totally benign cyst which will never transform into cancerous one. The description you have provided that it was a simple small fluid filled cyst implies this is a totally benign cyst which will always remain benign in the future too.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Could there be any chance that the cyst could be a serous cyst as they can look the same? My sister had ovarian cancer so I'm looking for some reassurance
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 7 days ago.

Please see whether this is serous cyst or not can only be said by a histopathological study through a biopsy, however the vital point is most of the ovarian cysts are benign and remain benign always.

In your case there is nothing that points this cyst you are having is related or will be related to a cancer of the ovary. If this cyst is having any potential to convert into cancer then your dr would have clearly mentioned it to you. This must be a benign cyst with no potential for transforming in to a cancer of the ovary.