Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Im 47 years old. I usually have normal periods. No longer

Customer Question

Im 47 years old.
I usually have normal periods.
No longer than 7 days.
This past year they were sometimes so light i didn't need a pad.
I thought my current period began nov 14th. Some brownish tint when i wiped.
Then nothing.
I finally saw light blood on nov 17th.
Again my period is very light. I only see blood when i wipe and occasionally in my urine.
I stopped bleeding two days ago , but im now seeing light blood when i wipe.
As if my period started, stopped, and is peetering.
I have no cramps or pelvic discomfort or heavy bleeding at all.
Im not sure if its permenopausal?
In 2006 I had fibroid surgery so i know what its like to have those side effects.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any urinary symptoms? Like frequency or burning etc? Are you on any medications?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from what you are describing it does sound like that you may be experiencing perimenopausal symptoms. In many women the perimenopausal symptoms can be slowly progressive and can present in this manner. This can present as the light brown or slight or progressively decreasing quantity of blood in every cycle. So it is very likely that this bleeding is the result of simply menopause which may have started to occur in your case.

Now apart from menopause it is possible that the bleeding is due to another cause. It can be due to cervical polyps or even uterine polyps which can sometimes alter the duration or even disrupt your cycles.It is possible that you are developing menopause and at the same time you have developed altered bleeding because of the polyps. If this is the case then you can simply have this evaluated by getting pelvic examination which will be able to determine if this is the case.

Now another cause of these symptoms can be a low grade infection leading to pelvic inflammatory disease. while it is true that usually there is pain in most cases f PID however that is not a rule for diagnosing the condition. The reason im mentioning this is because you have bleeding in your urine and if that is the case then a simple urine test alongwith a pelvic examination would be diagnostic here.

The one thing which i am more concerned about is the presence of blood in the urine which usually does not accompany perimenopausal symptoms, and this certainly does require more evaluation. You need to undergo a urine analysis as well as a urine culture alongwith an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. A pelvic examination should accompany this as well. My suggestion is to visit your OB/GYN ASAP and have this evaluated. While it can be perimenopause but i would like the blood in the urine to be evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.