Scott Rebich
Scott Rebich, Doctor
Experience:  Resident physician
96592888

At my 20 week scan I was told that there was a suggestion of

Customer Question

At my 20 week scan I was told that there was a suggestion of echogenic bowel. I am sick with worry. What are the risks to my baby? Please help.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

Was there anything else on the ultrasound that was concerning? If this is an isolated finding, then the prognosis is usually good.

Fetal echogenic bowel is a nonspecific sonographic finding. In over 80 to 90 percent of fetuses with an isolated sonographic finding of echogenic bowel, no etiology is identified antepartum and the neonate (including the bowel) are normal at birth

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
from my understanding nothing else on the ultrasound was remarkable. I am being sent for a more high level ultrasound. I already have 3 healthy children ages 5,3 and 1. Does the fact that they are healthy speak to the likelihood of a good prognosis?
Fetal echogenic bowel is noted in up to 1 percent of second-trimester sonograms and is usually associated with a normal fetus (and normal bowel). In normal fetuses, it usually resolves over a period of weeks, with no adverse sequelae. In contrast to the second trimester, echogenic bowel is common and a normal finding in the third trimester since meconium is present in the colon at this time and can be echogenic
Fetal echogenic bowel can be associated with underlying pathology, most commonly swallowed blood, aneuploidy or chromosomal abnormalities, cystic fibrosis, growth restriction, infection (especially cytomegalovirus), or a gastrointestinal malformation.
Therefore you and your growing baby should be screen for all of the above possibilities including ultrasound examination a fetal anatomic survey with attention to the gastrointestinal tract, estimation of fetal size/growth, assessment of markers suggestive of aneuploidy, and evaluation for signs of fetal infection.
Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 14 days ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions please.

If not, please rate my services.