Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

I am 36 years old and have previously had a dermoid cyst

Customer Question

I am 36 years old and have previously had a dermoid cyst removed when I had my daughter. 9years ago. Now I have another cyst on this ovary with multiple smaller cysts with some evidence of s retracting blood clot in the centre. The cyst is 6cm. My other ovary is 3cm and has a cyst I have a raised ca125 of 176 my symptoms are heavy periods with clots, pelvic tenderness and sharp pains pelvic tenderness comes from deep with when doing sport or the cat jumping on me. Could this be adenomyosis
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Hi Steph, sorry to hear about your problem. Yes, it definitely could be adenomyosis, but that does not normally cause a 6 cm cyst on your ovary. You could have both things at the same time. If you do have to have surgery for your cyst then they would be able to see the area and see is there is any adenomysis and remove it during that time.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am just wondering if the adenomyosiscould have caused the high ca125 reading of 176 than necessarily being ovarian cancer?

I have reviewed several studies to double check and yes, adenomyosis could cause high CA 126 at your level, this test is by no means perfect and there are many false negative. However when it is high it does need to be evaluated further to make sure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have had an ultra sound already which should the cyst described and also had a ct scan gyn seems to be saying 50/50 chance of cancer but symptoms are closer to adenomyosis which I haven't said to him yet. Just wonder if it's worth saying to him...

Definitely worth bringing it up! I do hope that's what it turns out to be, please keep me posted. I know this is very scary.