Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

My question is relatively simple, but I wanting to have

Customer Question

Hi There,
My question is relatively simple, but I wanting to have clarification on a small matter.
My boyfriend and I are considering getting married. We are not currently sexually active. We are wanting to wait until we are married.
However, my boyfriend has HPV2. Here are the basic facts:
Boyfriend has had HPV2 for 13 years, which he caught from a woman he was in a sexual relationship with at the time. When I met him 3 years ago, he would only have outbreaks about twice or three times a year. Last year, he decided to begin taking Valtrex daily as a suppression therapy, given that we are considering getting married. Now he has no outbreaks. Sometimes says he feels a "tingling" but then it goes away with no outbreak evident.
As for myself, I have had only one sexual partner (my ex-husband).
From what I have read, I understand that taking Valtrex as a suppression therapy is useful for reducing the possibility of giving Herpes to your sexual partner, along with condoms. I have also read extensively on asymptomatic shedding and I understand that it is a risk, which is what I am chiefly concerned about.
If we were to get married, we would be using condoms, but my two questions are these:
1. Given my boyfriend taking Valtrex daily and then using condoms (i.e. if we were married), what are the changes of me getting the disease? I am concerned that, given asymptomatic shedding, any shedding occurring on his scrotum, for example, could somehow be transferred to me.
2. We are, I'm afraid, wanting to start a family eventually. He has said we could use condoms, but cut the tip of the condom off (for lack of a better explanation) so that I could get pregnant. However, does HPV2 not also live in the semen?
If you could answer these questions for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

1) The chances for your getting infected would be low, but not zero--I'd give it a 10% chance

2) Cutting the tip of the condom would basically negate any protection for you

Please let me know if you need any more information.