Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Is it possible to get a reading of 130-230 on a fetal

Customer Question

Hi is it possible to get a reading of 130-230 on a fetal doppler and not be pregnant?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No not really
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 22 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are having difficulty with your monitor. How long have you been pregnant? A fetal doppler can read different heart rates with variations, but should not record if you are not pregnant. Please provide some more information.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have been pregnant in the past but never used a doppler
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not sure if I am pregnant my sister is and was just playing around with me testing her doppler and picked up those readings
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 22 days ago.

So, you are not pregnant and the readings are for your sister who is pregnant. Got it! Yes, the baby's heart rate can change while trying to get doppler readings and can the rate can vary widely. The reasons for this change/variance can be the baby moving, the angle that the doppler head is being held, the gel on the skin, the actual contact of the doppler head. The heart rate is dependent on the gestation period and not knowing this, I cannot say what the average heart rate would be, but it normally should vary between 120-160.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Oh no sorry I must have typed it wrong but it's her doppler but she used it on me and was picking up those readings could I be pregnant or is it just normal to have a reading high as 200 and not be pregnant?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 22 days ago.

We are having some computer problems.

These are not "real" readings when on your stomach if you are not currently pregnant. But, if there is a chance that you are pregnant (confirm with home pregnancy test), then what I said above applies. The angle, baby movement, etc.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok so I'm not pregnant likely just was wondering about those high readings didn't think it could pick up that high if you weren't pregnant