Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS. Deal with women related all surgical problems including genito-urinary and breast surgery.
5625079

I had an iud (mirena) inserted 1- I had an iud inserted in

Customer Question

Hi. I had an iud (mirena) inserted 1-
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Hi. I had an iud inserted in August. The gyn said my uterus was folded forward and twisted. I spotted for about 8 weeks and then evened out. I had a normal period this month already. I got a sinus infection this week with some coughing. I started spotting bright red blood, even though I'm in the middle of my cycle. Should I have my iud checked?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain. A little minor discomfort but not even enough to take a Motrin. Periods are regular but lighter with iud now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks

Mid cycle some spotting, mild discomfort and lighter periods are not unusual or uncommon with IUD. So all of these may be not indicative of anything significant. Having said that, with a recent history of sinus infection, bright red blood and history of uterus folded and twisted, a mild grade infection too may be a possibility. To rule that out and for caution, you may see an exam by your doctor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again,

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Following are the side effects of Mirena:

irregular menstrual periods, changes in bleeding patterns or flow;

breakthrough bleeding, or heavier menstrual bleeding during the first few weeks after device insertion;

back pain;

headache, nervousness, mild dizziness;

nausea, vomiting, bloating;

breast tenderness or pain.

Please see the reference:

http://www.rxlist.com/mirena-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.