Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I started using Nuvaring on 10/24. I replaced it after a few

Customer Question

I started using Nuvaring on 10/24. I replaced it after a few weeks as directed so I am now on my second ring. I got my period 9 days ago and I am still bleeding bright red blood. My period used to be 5 days max with little to no cramping. I am bleeding more with more clots and longer than usual. I am also experiencing a lot of cramping in my abdomen and lower back. Should I expect the bleeding to stop soon? Is there anything I can do? Is this abnormal? I have read about Nuvaring causing excessive bleeding, but my gynecologist told me if I left it in for 4 weeks and replaced it the day I removed the old one, I shouldn't get a period at all.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 18 days ago.

Hello Jayme, my name is***** I am reviewing your question and I will be with your momentarily! :)

May I ask if you have used other methods of birth control before and if this is the first time you are using Nuvaring?