Dr Caplan
Dr Caplan, Doctor
Experience:  A family doctor, with medical and residency training in Boston, MA, patients of all ages and wide range of illnesses.
72350808

My wife is in her 2nd trimester and we had an ultrasound the

Customer Question

My wife is in her 2nd trimester and we had an ultrasound the baby was told to us that its healthy and normal..she got a blood test the doc requested one...they said she has fragile eggs and wants me her husband to come in also im worried what does this mean for us and our baby
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

Do you have any more information about what the scan might have shown?

Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

I can only imagine the stress you must be feeling. I'm so sorry for the predicament!

Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be feeling terrified.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No doc just what my wife to over the phone and we dont jave any history of this...we were told everything was fine in the baby..a few yrs ago she had a fetus in her tube she had a surgery for that
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

I see. How has the pregnancy been until now?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Great to be honest with you...the normal throwing up and alot of eating and tiredness but besides that i think shes doing a great job doc...
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

so, then it's unlikely you have much to worry about. It's common for us to meet with the family to talk about "what ifs" around the 2nd trimester ultrasound.

Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

it's the time we look into the risk of abnormalities, now that we can start to see shapes and parts... and it's a time to talk...just talk... about the "what if" scary scenarios. the invitation does not necessarily mean something bad has happened.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
But from what i told you what does this mean for my baby...is the baby going to be healthy? Down syndrome? Handicap?
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

there's no reason to assume anything now. the meeting will likely be to go over the risk for downs or other illness... but for now, it's just theoretical risk... which every single (normal) baby has too... risk is just theory. it's important to think about the "what ifs" now, in case you wanted to be able to make changes or adjustments.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
But in the first ultrasound or 2nd that i went with her the nurse said the baby looks normal no signs of down syndrome healthy heartbeat arms legs normal she is 15 wkks sooo we dont understand this fragile eggs talk...does it mean we cant have any more kids
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

I don't understand that term either. it's not a medical term. I don't think you have any cause for concern, based on what you've told me so far.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I would love to hear how things go for you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He was excellent!! Answered my question
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 19 days ago.

Thank you