Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

18 months ago I had an abnormal pap and positive hpv result.

Customer Question

18 months ago I had an abnormal pap and positive hpv result. It had been five years since my previous pap. I had a colposcopy and my gyno said she saw abnormal cells so she did a biopsy, taking multiple samples. The results came back 100 percent clean - no abnormal cells at all. She said I must have cleared the hpv. We did another pap six months later. Abnormal, cin2. She said wait and retest in six months. So now its 18 months since my first abnormal pap and I again tested abnormal, but I havent seen the results so I dont know what cin level. I need another colposcopy/biopsy. Im thinking of switching docs because I just dont see how the first biopsy was clear when all the paps say otherwise - am I crazy to think she took the sample from the wrong areas? Switching docs means waiting an extra month for the colpiscopy, and likely puts any treatment in a new insurance year, which I would like to avoid if possible. So I am wondering if it sounds like my gyno is doing everything right or if its time to suck up the potential extra cost and seek a new doc. What do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

it can be possible for HPV to come and go

you can have a clear biopsy and have return of abnormal paps again.

sexual activity can cause this

your partner can also be spreading HPV virus to you as well which can cause new abnormal paps

not all abnormal paps are caused by HPV as well.

I would trust your gyno and follow up on this recent pap result