khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

I have 4 children. I had my first when I was 31 and my 4th

Customer Question

I have 4 children. I had my first when I was 31 and my 4th when I was 38. I am now 40 years old and have been trying for one last baby. I found out I was pregnant exactly one week ago, but I miscarried just a few days later when the baby was only 4 weeks 1 day. Now I am scared to try again.I have read lots of scary things on the internet about pregnancy in older mums, but what I would like to know is whether this applies more to first-time mums rather than 5th time? For example, I was frightened by the still-birth rate being 8 in 1000 rather than 3 in 1000, but delving deeper I was able to discover that the 8 in 1000 is for first-time mums. The rate for 2nd time mums was the same: 3 in 1000.I wondered the truth behind the other statistics such as pre-eclampsia and diabetes and most important;y miscarriage. I read that the rate goes up to around 33% at age 40, but presumably this is a gradual increase and not a sudden rise?I guess the bot***** *****ne is, is there much difference in me attempting a pregnancy now, aged 40 and giving birth at 41, to when I did it at age 38 and didn't give it a second thought?Thank you for your time, and sorry for the rambling.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Vakul Aren replied 24 days ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.Yes,getting pregnant at 40 is a lot more difficult,carries more risk and the complication rate is definitely higher than at younger age group. Attempting pregnancy is going to be more difficult ,maintaining it is also difficult but if you are determined and your Gynaecologist /Obstretician agrees with you,go for it.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Do you have any insight into how the statistics apply to mums who already have several children rather than first-time mums?

yourfertility.org.au/for-women/age/

www.parents.com › ... › Up Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant At Every Age

​These are two sites which will help give more information.I was unable to find the statistics as desired by you.These two sites give the same information but in greater detail.I hope this is the information you seek.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks for trying, but those websites don't answer my questions.
Expert:  khagihara replied 23 days ago.

It is same between first time and fifth time mother if the age is same because eggs are aging.