Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is it possible to be pregnant if you missed your period last

Customer Question

Is it possible to be pregnant if you missed your period last month, but got one this month? My cycle is regular 25-26 days and i never miss a period. Before my period came on i was dizzy, cramping bad and fatigued. I didnt have any cramps with my period but i had blood clots. I have these weird stuff coming from my nipple peircings that get stuck on my rings.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well it is not possible to be pregnant if you get your period however one possibility here is that you were pregnant last month and the bleeding now is actually indicating that you have developed a miscarriage. The bleeding with clots can be indicative of the miscarriage. if this is the case then you can get your pregnancy test done right now which will be positive even though the hcg levels would be decreasing. The presence of bad cramping and the dizziness as well as fatigue can be all indicative of a miscarriage.

So the first step here is to do a pregnancy test and see if you were pregnant, once that is done you can then have you OB/GYn evaluate you and do an ultrasound to see if you have actually miscarried. If the pregnancy test is negative and you are still bleeding then you would need a pelvic examination done ASAP as this bleeding and the other symptoms can be indicative of a more serious issue. This could be an infection or even a polyp inside the reproductive tract. Another cause of this can be associated with thickening of the lining of the uterus or hormonal issues.

So my advice is to do a pregnancy test and see if you were pregnant and if you have miscarried immediately and also call your OB/GYn and have him evaluate you. The reason being bleeding of this sort with clots is NOT normal.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When i was cramping i had clear white discharge. If i had a miscarriage i would think i would have horrible cramps when bleeding but i barely had any.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was cramping when i missed my period and a week after. I have these little bumps on my aerola that are hurting. I went to the doctor in oct 25th he gave me a pelvic exam and said everything was normal and to wait if i gotten my period but i feel like something is off.

Severe cramping is not necessary in early miscarriages, you can have a miscarriage even with mild cramping but bleeding is necessary. If there is no bleeding or blood clots then a miscarriage is less likely. Since you have mentioned that you are bleeding with clots it is still possible. However now that you have mentioned a normal pelvic exam on the 25th, i would rule this out as the doctor would have noticed or thought of a pregnancy back then.

Secondly the presence of white discharge can indicate an infection as i mentioned above. An infection can be the cause for your symptoms. Since you went to the doctor on the 25th it is possible that at that time, the infection was in its aearly stages but now that you are bleeding with clots and have additional symptoms, the infection has spread and you will need another examination to determine if this is the case. In addition you will need tests like a high vaginal swab alongwith a pelvic ultrasound to diagnose the problem.

An infection the second most likely cause here and it is possible that with the presence of increased symptoms, there is a more chance of this being diagnosed. urine tests and the other tests which i have mentioned are necessary here.

Do you have any more questions?