Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I stopped having my period 10 years ago. Today it returned.

Customer Question

JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I have been having some type of dull pain on my right side. It started under my right rib cage. I have had an abdominal ultra sound but nothing showed up. This was months ago. Lately I have frequent ruination and dull pain on my right side. Generally my first morning void has a strong odor. A month ago I was Catherine for an examination, and all was well. Since then, there is a left over slight burning sensation after I urinate. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed a sharp needle like pain on my lower right just inside my groin area. Today I returned to the gynourologist so that he could look at my bladder. All was well. Now I am having a period.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I seem to have a smelly vaginal odor all the time. No infection. 2 months ago I was given cleocin which totally cleared up the odor. Two months post cleosin the odor is back.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Does your GYN know about your returned period?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No. it just happened today
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

Did he also check your uterus and do a pelvic exam?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
This was done on the initial visit a month ago. I think he said my uterus was about 10 weeks in size
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

OK

You need to let him know about this since it could indicate either uterine or cervical cancer

Another possibility would be cervicitis from another infection.

The pain could have been from a ruptured ovarian cyst that wasn't detected before

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
My pap and HPV are current and are negative.
Wouldn't the potential uterine or cervical cancer be detected via the pelvic examination
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Would uterine or cervical cancer cause pain on the right side under the rib cage and sometimes towards the middle of the abdomen?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Could the catherization cystoscope of my bladder cause the bleeding?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

An ovarian cyst could cause the pain.

If this were bloody urine and not actually menstrual flow then it could be from the cysto and the cath

The other possibility for the bleeding could be a sudden flux in your hormone levels so those need to be checked also

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Would uterine or cervical cancer cause a not so pleasant vaginal odor? This odor is quite obvious to me when using the bathroom or just moving about naked
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

No and that could be a return of your previous vaginal infection

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 26 days ago.

My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you