Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am writing because I am at an absolute loss. I am

Customer Question

I am writing because I am at an absolute loss. I am experiencing reoccurant rawness in my genital area. In the last 2.5 months, I have seen 3 different doctors and today I am having another-4th uncomfortable reoccurrence.There has been raw skin near my vaginal opening. There are no sores, but the skin is raw and uncomfortable. I have been swab tested for the general STD screen. (Herpes, Clamidia, gohneria, HIV and one that started with a T). Both times tested, everything was negative. The third doctor didn't "see" anything but noticed that I was a little red and irritated.I was sexually active with the last irritations, but have since broke up (partly because of my craziness around this). I have not had sex in 3 weeks (ie I am not allergic to condoms or lube or anything)In June, my OBGYN found a 14cm fiberoid and I had an abdominal myomectimy. The doctors do not believe they are connected.I need some guidance. I am unable to sleep with the stress this brings. My only partner this year was this last boyfriend.Could this be Thrush? Herpes? Cancer?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you! Please let me know if you need further details/clarifications
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

it does sound like you have a lot of anxiety over this

are you touching and feeling and looking at the vaginal area frequently?

if you are, the act of touching, feeling, pressing on the area can make the area red and irritated.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Not as much this time. Using a flashlight and mirror, so have only poked around twice
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have had now 4 occasions of this- they have gone away within days without use of anti-vitals. But this has only started happening in late August- nearly 2 months after my major surgery
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

your surgery is not connected to your vaginal redness and irritation.

stop poking around your vagina

this is most likely causing the redness and irritation.

Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

it sounds like you have severe anxiety symptoms

do you have severe anxiety symptoms?

have you taken anti-anxiety medications before?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I just took a Xanax! ��
But in all seriousness. I am quite physically uncomfortable and there is obviously something not right. And it doesn't seem to be fully going away.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Additionally, in the swab tests completed by docs- I also tested negative for bacteria- suggesting not a yeast infection
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

in all seriousness, you need to stop touching your vagina.

the more you touch the area, the more red and irritated it gets.

all of your testing is negative.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
With all due respect, I am quite certain I am. It causing the irritation. Can you possibly give me some other potential diagnosis?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It's about dime sized, very red, rew and irritated. No totally abnormal discharge.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
quite certain I am not causing
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

can you upload a clear jpg image of the red area on your skin?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I'm not able to get a clear picture- but it now seems to have a bit of a white covering
Expert:  Dr David replied 25 days ago.

you can't get a clear photo,

you are certain you are not causing it

you have been to 4 doctors

all of your testing have come up negative

you are taking xaanx for anxiety disorder.

you examine yourself down there with a mirror and flashlight.

are you wearing any non cotton underwear? nylon underwear can often be very irritating to the vagina.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have been prescribed Xanax for travel purposes, and did not take it tonight as prescribed, at my own fault. I'm just trying to be proactive in my own health. I do not suffer from an anxiety disorder.Can you provide any thought or insights that I may bring back to my doctor to discuss as possibilities?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Is there a diagnosis that matches these recurring raw skin patches? My concern is grounded in the fact this is the 4th occurrence in 2.5 months. And I am truly uncomfortable.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
primarily wearing cotton underwear.
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

you have seen 4 doctors who have been able to examine you and do testing.

I can't see you or do testing for you, and you want me to come up with a new diagnosis for you as a possibility.

you did not take your xanax tonight is your own fault? what does that mean?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I meant that I didn't take as it was prescribed for the purposes of flying
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm just asking, in your professional experience, have you ever heard of a case similar to mine. What would you offer as guidance to one of your patients concerning this skin issue?
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

you should ask your doctor to check for eczema or psoriasis of the red skin on your vagina.

if you continue to have an area of red skin there, you should ask for a skin biopsy to help with diagnosis

you should work on not touching your vagina and not examining yourself which can cause more redness.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Are these skin conditions common if I do not have skin sensitivities anywhere else on my body?
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

it is rare, but you can have eczema or psoriasis just in your vagina area causing a patch of red skin.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
the possibility of thrush?
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

you don't have symptoms of thrush.

you don't have white vaginal dyscharge.

your doctors have examined you to look for vaginal fungal infections.

you don't have fowl odor coming from your vagina

your doctors have already checked you for this.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I know Herpes is still a possibility as I have read it is common to get false negatives. Would this condition be able to produce 4 "outbreaks" in such a short period of time?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Note there are no blisters, but I've read symptoms can vary)
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

your symptoms are not of herpes

herpes causes painful vaginal ulcers.

your doctors have not seen any painful ulcers.

you are letting your anxiety get out of control here

you are grapsing at straws here.

it doesn't seem like anything I am saying is getting through

you seem like you will continue to worry no matter what I say here.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sir, I am physically uncomfortable. Things of this nature do not occur for no reason, correct?
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

have your doctors told you to stop touching this area and examining yourself?

I have told you to stop touching yourself and stop examinging yourself. doing this will cause discomfort

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm trying to deduce the possibilities and trying to be fully informed. I am trying to clarify that, until trying to capture a picture, have not manipulated the area. I did attempt to take a peak after I was experiencing discomfort which was similar to 3 other times in the past 2 months.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No other doctor had told me manual manipulation was the cause of my discomfort
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

well, I still can't see the area.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I was hoping for a more compassionate or informed discussion. I don't expect a full diagnosis- but this was a very disappointing experience.
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

I gave you several options of what it could be without looking at it.

you have been to 4 doctors already

and have been disappointed with 4 doctors already.

so I guess you will continue to be disappointed by going to doctors about this.

you refused to upload a photo

I have given you 14 replies here already on this thread.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I didn't refuse- I was unable to upload. I have only disappointed in my interaction here. My other doctors have been great- just at a loss. Thanks for your help, and I hope your private practice may be successful
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/ob-gyn/a0ayh-miscarriage-mid-september-5-weeks-pregnant.htmlHere is an example on how this site is intended to work, in my opinion.
Expert:  Dr David replied 24 days ago.

I am still here if you have other questions