Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I HAVE A SMALL CUT NEAR MY RECTUM IT HURTS WHEN DOWN IT

Customer Question

I HAVE A SMALL CUT NEAR MY RECTUM IT HURTS WHEN I AM SITTING DOWN IT BURNS AND SOMETIMES ITCHES. I HAVE SUFFER FROM HEMORRIDS. I SOMETIMES GO TO BATHROOM ABOUT MAYBE 4 TIMES A DAY. I THOUGHT MAYBE I IRRIATED MY SKIN WITH THE TISSUE. I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT OIITMENTS BUT HAVE NOT WORK.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: FOR ABOUT 10 DAYS. NOTHING MAKES IT WORSE.IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE I SIT ALL DAY AT WORK
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the gynecologist to know?
Customer: JUST I DO GO TO THE BATHROOM QUIT OFTEN BECAUSE I TAKE SUPPLEMENTALS FOR MY HEALTH
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

How old are you?

Have you seen a doctor about this? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I AM 65 YRS. AND I HAVE NOT SEEN A DOCTOR YET
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IT IS MORE LIKE A SCRAP

Most likely you have an anal fissure, which is a tear in the skin at the anus. It is usually caused by either hard constipated stool or frequent, loose stools.

It would be best to see a doctor for evaluation. Certain medications can be helpful. Most anal fissures will heal with conservative treatment, but occasionally surgery is needed.

Part of the cause of anal fissures is a spasm of the anal sphincter, which is the muscle at the anus. The spasm decreases blood flow and prevents healing. Lying down after a bowel movement can help to relax the sphincter. Sometimes a local anesthetic can be used before a bowel movement to decrease pain and spasm.

Increasing bulk in the stools is usually helpful. This can be done with a high fiber diet plus metamucil daily.

If the supplements are causing frequent stools, I would recommend stopping the supplements until the fissure has healed.

Your doctor can help in evaluation and treatment, or else refer you to a rectal specialist if needed. Best wishes.