Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was told I have UTI and am on antibiotics currently. after

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: i was told I have UTI and am on antibiotics currently. after 4 days i dont feel much better
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have seen a doctor and they did a Urine test and put me on Nitrofurn Mono
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had sex for first time two weeks ago it was very painful. I also used vaignal dilators
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: lying down makes the pain a little better but walking sitting makes it worse urinating as well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Was the diagnosis of a UTI based on a urinalysis, a urine test?

If so, do you have the result of the urinalysis?

Do you know whether a culture was done of the urine?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The nitrofurantoin is a good antibiotic for UTIs. The common problems when a UTI does not respond to a good antibiotic is that it could be because it is not a simple UTI or that the germ is a resistant germ.

To assess whether this is more than a simple UTI would involve a review of the urinalysis and the culture report if they were done. To assess whether there is a resistant germ would involve review of the culture, if a culture was done.

However, in someone with typical symptoms and findings on exam, the doctor may not have done a full urinalysis or a culture. If these tests were not done, then it may be necessary to perform them now, or after the antibiotic course has been completed.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.