Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I am 68 years old and have had a bad fishy smell for about

Customer Question

I am 68 years old and have had a bad fishy smell for about the last 3-4 months. i do use a deusch and that helps for a couple days , my husband and I no longer have sex so that is out, this is the first time I have ever had this..
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: my health is pretty good
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had a hysterectomy. I do have crohns but am not having any problems with that ..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

A fishy smell is typical for what's called bacterial vaginosis, usually from Gardnerella.

You need a culture taken and the infection is easily treated with either oral Flagyl or Clindamycin or with a vaginal gel of one of those two antibiotics.

Please let me know if you need any more information,