Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I made a poor choice regarding unsafe sex and I'm looking

Customer Question

Hello. I made a poor choice regarding unsafe sex and I'm looking for guidance regarding testing given both the act I engaged in and the incubation periods of the STI/STDs I am most at risk for given the act I engaged in.The act was a brief period (one to two minutes) of unprotected cunnilingus 9 days ago. I am asymptomatic. I have already been diagnosed previously with a high HSV 2 count although I have never experienced an outbreak.From what I've read the most likely possible risk would be oral chlamydia and syphilis. Of course I would also test for HIV however unlikely (I've done a little research and the literature does suggest it is exceeding rare in this situation though not impossible.I believe I've read that the minimal incubation period for chlamydia is 5 days, and that I would need a mouth swab rather than a urine test to check for oral chlymidia. Am I correct?If so, what other tests should I get if any, other than syphillis and HIV? And when should I get them? I know there are incubation times to consider and rushing to test early may serve no purpose. Can you offer counsel in terms of spectrum of tests and timing?Finally, could you please help me 'right size' my anxiety? I take responsibility for my poor choice. I understand that I am subject to the risk of infection by my actions. I have read that while all manner of sex should be safe on this situation that the literature states that infection to the giver of unprotected cunnilingus is rare compared to other unprotected sexual behavior. If you could provide an objective, professional clinical perspective I would appreciate it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr. Chip

Actually the chlamydia (and gonorrhea) would only be detected if it actually caused an infection with symptoms like sore throat or gums and that would usually show up in three to five days.

As for syphilis, the risk would be extremely low but the incubation period might be up to three months.

HIV transmission would also be very unlikely but the seroconversion period for that could be up to six months and that also holds for Hepatitis B and C.

So, basically, I wouldn't swab you for chlamydia or gonorrhea unless and until you had oral symptoms.

I would screen you for syphilis and HIV now and again in three months and again at six months if the first two screens were negative.

My professional opinion here is that you haven't contracted any STD but you still need the tests I've outlined above.

I fully understand your concern here so if I haven't fully covered all the bases with your questions please let me kow and I'll be more than happy to continue with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Doctor. I do have one follow up question: if I did have a sore throat, slight swollen glands and felt 'off' for two days this past weekend and it passed, would that possibly be a sign of oral chlyamidia or gonorrhea? I had a bit of a runny nose as well. I managed it with zinc losenges and acetaminophen. It seemed a mild virus which has been circulating at my office but I don't want to minimize my risk. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 month ago.

Yes--in that case I would orally swab you for gonorrhea and chlamydia but I'd be willing to bet those will be negative and this sounds more like just a virus and not an STD. I think overall you're fine but keep in touch and let me know how things go, and please consider giving me a positive rating for my service to you.