Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have'nt had a period in a year and a half because I was

Customer Question

I have'nt had a period in a year and a half because I was breastfeeding and now that I have stopped I have had my period for 2 months now. Is that normal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. First of all let me reassure you, absence of a period can be normal after you stop breast feeding. In upto 80% of women, the period restarts after 10 weeks of stopping breastfeeding. However that does not hold true for all women, in upto 20% of women, the period can start as late as 20 weeks after stopping the breastfeeding.

So in your case since it has been only 8 weeks since you stopped, i would not be worried. It is very likely that your period will restart on its own within the next 2-4 weeks. If it does not restart by the 12th week, then it would be wise to get a pelvic examination done at your OB/GYN just to rule out any other causes. But im sure that your period will start before then as it does restart in a majority of women by the 10th week (after stopping breastfeeding)

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question was I have had my period for 2 months already since I stopped breastfeeding is it normal that I have had it for that long?

Sorry about that, i thought you said that you havent had a period for the last two months after stopping your breastfeeding.I apologise for the misunderstanding but coming to your question, Well in such a case it would depend all on the extent of the bleeding as well as frequency. If you are consistently bleeding and in large amounts (more than 2-3 pads a day) then there is a chance that this is due to a problem other than the restart of the menstrual cycle. Now while it is common for the periods to be heavier than usual or even irregular after stopping breastfeeding in many women, it is still recommended that a pelvic examination be done to rule out other causes.

In 90% of the cases, the heavier and prolonged bleeding is due to the body adjusting itself after breastfeeding has been stopped however in 10% of the cases, the heavier bleeding is due to an underlying cause. This could include simple things like an infection in the female reproductive tract such as PID. This would also cause lower abdominal pain and maybe even a discharge apart from bleeding. Simple abdominal ultrasound alongwith a high vaginal swab as well as urine tests would be diagnostic and then it would be treated with antibiotics. Another cause of this could be polyps inside the uterine cavity or in the cervix. Lastly this can also be due to endometrial hyperplasia which is a condition in which there is thickening of the uterine wall.

All of the above conditions are possible in your case even though chances are the heavier and prolonged bleeding is due to the hormonal adjustment which occurs after stopping breastfeeding which would be considered normal. However as i said, there isa 10% chance of any of the other conditions are the underlying cause and that is why they should be excluded. My suggestion would be to simply get a pelvic examination done which would conclusively rule out the other conditions.

Do you have any more questions?