Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

In July I was told that I have a Luteal Phase Defect and my

Customer Question

In July I was told that I have a Luteal Phase Defect and my progesterone is at a level 2. I was a prescribed 200mg of progesterone oral supplement to be taken at night on certain days of cycle(not to be taken during period and before ovulation). I thought my period started last week so I didn't take progesterone --it was lighter than usual and then stopped. Due to irregular periods in the past it was no concern to me. But unlike the past times, it quit and never came back. I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. It's now the weekend and my doctor's office is closed. I have been off progesterone for two weeks. My question: Should I start taking the supplement again to keep progesterone levels up or wait to see what doctor says when I come in for a 8week prenatal appointment--3 weeks from now?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

Progesterone is one of these key hormones of pregnancy. After ovulation progesterone production is triggered by Luteinizing Hormone (LH) which stimulates the corpus luteum (the remnant egg sac) in the ovary to produce progesterone. One of the main actions of progesterone with fertility is to help support a developing embryo.

you should see your gyn doctor right away and have your progesterone levels checked if you are pregnant. you need blood bHCG levels checked as well to confirm your pregnancy

if you are indeed pregnant, you doctors will need to check your progesterone levels to make sure they are increasing like they should

if not, you may need progesterone supplements

so you need to see your gyn doctor before 3 weeks.