Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I've been perimenopausal for at least 2 years. My last

Customer Question

I've been perimenopausal for at least 2 years. My last period was December 2015, however, I had some light spotting two nights ago (about 11 months after my last period). Spotting has stopped, only lasted for a few hours. 2 weeks prior to that I had the typical ovulation sensations I used to feel when I was ovulation and having a period regularly. I know any bleeding post menopause should be checked out. Would that be true if the spotting occurred 11 months after the last cycle?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One little caveat to this story is that the same night I noticed the spotting (two days ago), I also discovered I had a UTI. It's possible that the blood was from the UTI but it was more pounced than what I have read a UTI blood quantity would consist of.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Well, any such spotting/ bleeding after many months of missed period, at your age should be checked by doctor.

This should not be left ignored.

It doesn't sound to be related with UTI.

Possible reasons for such spotting/ bleeding are-

-Hormone problems,

-Atrophy of the vagina,

-Polyps (small growths) in the uterus or on the cervix,

-Hyperplasia (enlarged cells) of the lining of the uterus,

-Ovarian tumor.

You will be requiring pelvic examination, hormone blood tests along with a vaginal ultrasound scan for evaluation of cause.

If this is related with cervical polyps, then you may need to have them removed. For hormone imbalance you would be prescribed with oral medications and injections.

The line of treatment would be advised according to the cause.

Please see your Gynecologist and get it clinically evaluated.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My understanding had been that anything can really happen during the perimenopausal time and that it was only after 12 months without bleeding that it would be cause for concern?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear,

I can understand your concern.

Yes, having absence of periods for last 12 months, and then getting sudden bleeding at this time should not be left ignored. It has to be thoroughly investigated by doctor.

I understand that you are in perimenopause stage, but having sudden bleeding at this time, should be checked by doctor.

This can be hormonal imbalance or underlying medical condition.

Please start with your doctor and get it clinically evaluated.

God bless you and take care.

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess what I'm questioning is that it hasn't been 12 months without a cycle. It's been about 10 months and 3 weeks without a cycle. Isn't the rule of thumb 12 months without a cycle and then bleeding is cause for a visit?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Dear,

I can understand your concern.

The rule of thumb is- If a woman doesn't have period for continuous six months and then suddenly gets spotting/ periods at such age, it should be evaluated by doctor.

It has been a long time, In your case for 10 months. So i advised to see doctor.

Please see your doctor and get it evaluated.

Don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 month ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh