Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Is it safe for a man with HPV to perform oral sex on a woman

Customer Question

Is it safe for a man with HPV to perform oral sex on a woman who doesn't have HPV? He doesn't experience any sores in his mouth.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

While there is a small chance you could pass the HPV virus along even when you don't have any sores, the risk is very small.

So. What is the take home message?

I believe you can safely perform oral sex on your female partner but, of course, you should let her know about your status so she can be a partner in making this decision.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there's still a risk?

Of course.....all sexual intercourse has risks of infection when it involved a person you don't know real well.....

But, in your case, your risk is low....in the area of 1 in 10,000 or so.

I would not recommend testing at this point if you were my patient.

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much.

Glad I could help.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS