Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I had a cysto and biopsy on bladder on Tuesday. Was

Customer Question

I had a cysto and biopsy on bladder on Tuesday. Was incontinent for one day but continue to have large amounts of bright red blood in my urine. Should I do anything?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you give me a rough estimate about teh amount of blood which is present in urine? Is it present everytime when you pass urine or does it appear intermittently? Did you undergo any irrigation of the bladder after your cystoscopy? Also do you happen to see any clots in the urine? Also is the urine so dense that you cant see through it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is there all the time and I have no clots. I was given an anesthetic and do not know about irregation

Thank you for the additional information, one last question is the urine so red that you cant see through it? Can you see the bottom of the toilet bowl after you pass urine or all you see is blood?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Varies

Well usually after a cystoscopy and biopsy, bleeding in the urine is to be expected for a few days. This bleeding can last for upto 7 -10 days in some cases and is considered as normal especially after a biopsy. The best way to treat it is to drink added amounts of water which can dilute the urine and also help in the healing process.

Now while bleeding can be considered as normal, there are a few things which NEED to be monitored for. The first one is that part about seeing through the urine. If it is so thick with blood that you cnat see through it then you NEED to call up your doctor and go back in for further treatment. This is because this means that there is active significant bleeding which needs to be treated with bladder irrigation and medications to stop the blood loss. So as you said, the transparency varies....you can monitor it for the next 24 hours and IF it again becomes so thick that you cant see through it then immediately go to your doctor. In addition also monitor yourself for the following symptoms as well,

• clots or tissue in your urine
  • severe pain while urinating
  • a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above
  • urine smells unpleasant
  • nausea or vomiting
  • pain in your lower back or side

In case of these symptoms or thick urine, immediately call your doctor or go to teh ER for medical care. Otherwise continue to drink as much water as you can.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.