Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I am 30 y.o. Caucasian female, 5'7" 135lbs I had Essure

Customer Question

I am 30 y.o. Caucasian female, 5'7" 135lbs I had Essure performed in 2012 after my second birth and recently had pregnancy test done at gynecologist's office which was negative. My urologist is currently concerned with bladder cancer and I have another cystoscopy and biopsy next Friday (I have interstitial cystitis). I have a normal thyroid and have had a few hemorrhagic cysts years ago and a LEEP procedure in 2007. My question is, what are other reasons besides stress (I've been happier than ever), thyroid, and weight loss (I have gained about 5lbs in 8 weeks) to not have my period in 60 days?? My Last period was in mid-August. I am otherwise healthy. ???
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos M.D., board certified ObGyn. The most likely answer is what we call a functioning ovarian cyst. The ovaries produce and release an egg each month.
I must have touched the send tab. I'll complete my comments and send them in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know women have cysts all the time,and I have a history of painful, large cysts. They've never impacted my cycle before, but I look forward to the rest of your response :)
When the egg is forming in the ovary it is in a small cyst called a follicle that enlarges in the first half of the cycle until it pops and the egg is captured by the Fallopian tube. After the egg is released the follicle converts into a corpus luteum that release the hormone progesterone that is needed if a pregnancy occurs. If it doesn't happen the corpus luteum shrinks before the next cycle with the period occurs. Sometimes the follicle may continue to enlarge if the egg is not right and it is a follicle cyst. Sometimes the corpus luteum doesn't shrink and expands as a corpus luteum cyst. Each type of cyst releases either estrogen or progesterone. The hormones block the next two or three month cycles. These cysts will eventually shrink or can pop (rupture).
These are extremely common and are benign particularly since they produce normal hormones. An ultrasound can find the cyst and the lining of the inner cavity of the uterus will either be thick or thin depending on the type cyst. These cysts can shrink without trouble or if they rupture may need to be handled through laparoscopy. I hope this eases your concern. I have seen hundreds of these cysts and less than 10% end up needing surgery. Nothing else tends to stop a period for two months other than pregnancy. Pregnancy test negative means a cyst. I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for accessing Justanswer for information. You can rate my response and it allows JA to compensate me for my performance.