Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

At 16 would an IUD be unsafe? I am not taking any

Customer Question

Hello, at 16 would an IUD be unsafe ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am not taking any medications currently, just condoms
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Yes this sis my first time reaching out. My health is good overall
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have hay fever
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Doctor replied 1 month ago.

welcome to JA

I am an Emergency Physician who have dealt with issues such as yours over the 25 years plus

I will proceed to enlighten you about IUCD's, and then together we can reason why I think its not the BEST option for you now.

Intrauterine contraceptive devices work in 2 ways

They trigger a form of 'sterile inflammation' on the lining of the womb which create an environment hostile to sperm as it swim across towards fertilization.

Most also contain hormones that actually directly inhibit the movement of sperm by making the mucus so thick that the sperm cannot swim past.

There is therefore that inherent danger (not common, but possible) that this inflammation can become chronic meaning last VERY LONG, that when you at now ready to conceive, it will still be harmful. Also It can happen close to the tubes and create environment that can lead to Ectopic pregnancy .

So for someone that has not had children, and who in future may change her mind to become pregnant, it is a definite RISK

It is an UNNECESARY risk especially because there are other safe alternatives.

So my direct answer will be IT IS UNSAFE FOR YOU because of your age and the fact that you have no children HOWEVER in general terms it is a fairly SAFE method of contraception