Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Norm, I had a miscarriage July 14 of this year. Then found

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Norm,
I had a miscarriage July 14 of this year. Then found out on September 5th that I was pregnant. I went for my first visit which measured a gestational sac and fetal pole at 6 weeks with hcg levels at 44,000 - no heartbeat. I've had no bleeding or anything, could I still have a miscarriage? Or more
Likely that dates are off?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My doctor spent all of 15 minutes on my first visit, and I'm a really scared and frustrated about all this - considering my history shows such a recent miscarriage
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

I'm afraid that when the ultrasound shows a fetal pole measuring 6 weeks and there is no heartbeat, that is somewhat worrisome for a miscarriage. However, 6 weeks is the time when we first see a heartbeat, so perhaps there will be a heartbeat seen in a few more days.

I would recommend repeating the ultrasound in 4-7 days. If a heartbeat is seen, then all is well. If not, that would mean a likely miscarriage.

I don't think there is any value to repeating the hcg, which is at a good level. Good luck in seeing a heartbeat at your next visit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you doctor. Also, during the period when I had the initial miscarriage my doctor gave me a Pap smear in July. For some reason the doctor I visited on Friday gave me another one and this has cause spotting (brownish/pinkish) for the last four days...is this normal? Was this Pap necessary? And how long can spotting go for?Thank you again
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, as to not place blame on the doctor solely. My husband and I had sex the day after the Pap as well. Just wanted to know if this spotting is normal.

Unless your previous Pap smear was abnormal, there would be no reason to repeat a Pap smear so soon.

Spotting from a Pap smear usually doesn't last more than a couple of days. It's possible that the spotting is related to the pregnancy, whether it turns out to be a miscarriage or not. It's not unusual to have a little spotting in early pregnancy.