Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had my son November 12th 2015, he is now 11 months old. My

Customer Question

I had my son November 12th 2015, he is now 11 months old. My second pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage when I was 9 weeks because I had gotten pregnant with my husband 8 weeks postpartum. I think it was a little too risky. Well now my husband and I are pregnant again! We were ecstatic!!! But at 5 weeks and 4 days I got my blood drawn, and a day later find out my HCG was 20,985! I know I was 5w4d because I tracked my ovulation using OPKs and I ovulated on the 16th of September. My last period was September 1st. At first I was going (happy) crazy over the numbers because I figured twins? With it being twins run in my family BIG TIME! My aunt is a twin, my grandmother, my brother is a twin. Literally every generation is a twin in my family. But then I read that high HCG like mine early as 5 weeks means Molar? Then I read up on molar pregnancy and it sounds pretty scary! I called my doctors office and got to speak to a nurse but she told me basically that practice only worries when the numbers are low and that the doctors never worried about high HCG. But I read woman's stories where doctors were very concerned with numbers like mine early on! My ultrasound isn't till the 21st which is now 7 more days. I am very worried and scared! Especially because I had also read that you are more likely to have a molar if you had a miscarriage before. With my first pregnancy my HCG was 370 at 6 weeks and with my 2nd my HCG was 1,000 at 6 weeks. But now 21,000 at 5 weeks? This isn't the "norm" for me at all. I am so scared! And I am also worried it could mean Down syndrome!!! I feel like I just cannot wait the 7 days! Making me really want to (stupidly) go to the hospital and see if they could just tell me now what's wrong!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

I understand your concerns about Molar pregnancy and Down's Syndrome.

However, I would tend to agree with the nurse in that it is the low levels that are more concerning than the high levels.

I would like that you should have an ultrasound scan which will help diagnose or rule out molar pregnancy. I would recommend doing a transvaginal scan as those are more accurate.

In the meantime, I know it is easier said than done, but I would like that you should relax and not worry too much at all.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are my chances of this being a healthy pregnancy by my HCG levels? What's the percentage of woman who had levels of 20,000+ at 5 weeks and turned out ok? Could this also indicate twins?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Very high chances that this could be a normal pregnancy.

There are chances that this could be a twin pregnancy but the best way to find out would be an ultrasound examination.

The only way to know for sure is ultrasound.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am definitely a worry wart and due to my last pregnancy that didn't end well I am on edge. I'm hoping this isn't anything serious but all anyone could do is hope and guess. My son was a perfect healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby that I'm surprised I'm going through all of this worrying! I am also only 22. And though there is always that chance, I don't think someone as young as me should be having these issues.I also just had surgery August 25th. Removal of the Gallbladder! I hope all the MRI's and Hyda scans they gave me. With the antibiotics etc. didn't effect anything!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

I understand your concerns.

I am very hopeful that everything should turn out fine for you this time around.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! Now one more question..My husband on the other hand is 36. He has epilepsy. He's been trying different medication for the past 7 months, but for the past 5, he's been on keppra. He was on Tegretol for 24 years. And that's just another concern for us. Do you think a medication like Keppra could affect egg/sperm? I don't see anything much about anything in that area regarding Kepra.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

There is no evidence to suggest that keppra would affect the sperms or the eggs.

I am sorry for my late response as I was with a patient here.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards