Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm currently exactly 5 weeks pregnant. I've had spotting

Customer Question

Hi there. I'm currently exactly 5 weeks pregnant. I've had spotting for several days. I had beta testing done today and my HCG Level is 483, and progesterone at 6.8. Is this indicative of miscarriage? I'm seeing a nurse practitioner whose judgement I don't really trust and she is insisting that I'm misscarrying? Is it possible that I'm not? Should I be put on progesterone in an attempt to save the pregnancy?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

Both HCG levels and progesterone levels vary a great deal during early pregnancy. It's hard to make good predictions based on their levels.

The spotting might be a sign of miscarriage, but there is no way to no at this time.

By the time you're 6 weeks, an ultrasound will be able to know. If there is a heartbeat, then the pregnancy is fine. If not, it's likely a miscarriage.

Progesterone supplements are rarely helpful, although they are used a lot.

I would take it easy and give it some time. Then get an ultrasound at 6 weeks. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. I'm getting another blood draw and an ultrasound on monday. I wish I could understand why if it's hard to make predictions based on those hormone levels, why my nurse practitioner would call me and insist on the fact that I'm miscarrying. Wouldn't a miscarriage include lots of blood loss and cramping? I had a chemical pregnancy 9 months ago that was very painful and caused very heavy bleeding. I don't understand. :(

A single HCG test isn't very helpful. However, the HCG level should double every 2-3 days. If not, that generally means it will be a miscarriage.

The most accurate way to know is by an ultrasound at 6 weeks or later.

A miscarriage usually involves quite a bit of bleeding and cramping. However, it can begin with mild bleeding.

May I be of further assistance?

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.