Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Tested positive for herpes igm was 3.71 igg was .91 I

Customer Question

Hi tested positive for herpes igm was 3.71 igg was .91 I retested 4 days later and igm was 1.91 need help am I infected
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 month ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos M.D. And I'll be right with you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
I'm board certified ObGyn. The antibody, IgM is the antibody that the body produces with an initial herpes contact. It stays present for 3-5 weeks then fades and the antibody IgG is produced and remains for years. There is no question that the IgM for herpes means that you have a recent lesion of either type 1 (mostly around the mouth) or type 2 ( usually around the genital area). If you have uncomfortable lesions a medication can be prescribed. I hope this information helps. The IgM is going down which happens with a recent lesion. Should it act up in the future, the IgG will be produced and IgM only shows up with the first episode.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I understand but I had a recent encounter with a guy we did not have sex or kiss he only fingered me and the first test I did was 10 days past when I was with him and then 4 days later did the other test the question I wanted to know is it possible I got it from him because I have gotten canker sores in my mouth for years
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it possible I had this in my system before and just had a recent outbreak that's why igm was 3.71 and igg .91
IgM only shows up the first time and the canker sores probably type 1 and this IgM may be to type 2. They can differentiate type 1 and type 2. The IgG goes up later or is around chronically over the years. The IgM is found briefly with the initial exposure no telling exactly what to what contact presented it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what does deactivation mean with igm because a doctor told me about that
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I mean reactivation he said it can cause igm
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why did igm come up negative 4 days later
IgM goes down quickly but it isn't as easy to measure as IgG. There is an additional test they can do on the IgM blood samples to assure it is IgM and you have to discuss this with your healthcare provider.