Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am wanting to know what a metallic smell means, No i

Customer Question

I am wanting to know what a metallic smell means
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No i haven't. No mediations. No STDS
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for waiting. From where this metallic smell is coming?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just had a small rush of fluid for no reason and it smelled very metallic. I have had no STDs, no infections or symptoms of infection.. nothing like that.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have never experienced that before

So you are talking about vaginal secretions?

Have you had any itching there as well?

Is the fluid still coming?

Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no and no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wondering if it could be a sign of pregnancy? I have not had actual intercourse recently but I am wondering if there might have been an accident of some kind

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description, there are two possibilities. This is an infection. Either this can be a fungal infection or a bacterial one. With such smell, fungal is more likely. Don't worry, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can use over the counter available Clotrimazole vaginal cream twice daily for 7 days and hopefully this will not happen again. If it does then you should see your doctor to get culture of these secretions and get treatment accordingly. I reassure you that there is nothing serious associated with this and as far as pregnancy is concerned, that is out of question. Pregnancy never causes this secretion with metallic smell. So just relax and please don't stress yourself. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was concerned because I looked at other websites and it said the metallic smell had to do with being pregnant. But maybe that is false because you think that is not the case.Do you think it has anything to do with having an iron imbalance or being anemic at all?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when you say this is an infection- are you talking about a yeast infection? The secretion consistency has seemed normal and unlike what an yeast infection would look like

Thanks a lot for your input. No there is no like of this to pregnancy or anemia. Yes yeast infection is just a remote possibility that I have mentioned. We can just suspect it but pregnancy and anemia is out of question. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be following you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One more question, if it all smells musky or like mildew, what does that mean?

Even then it will indicate an infection. Pregnancy and smelly secretion has no connection, I reassure you. Regards