Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Does Quai effect ovulation?

Customer Question

Does Dong Quai effect ovulation?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The reason I am asking is that I started taking Dong Quai last month to regulate periods. My husband and I had sex,using a condom on Sat. October 1st. I then started my period on October 2nd. Should I worry about pregnancy.

Well Dong Quai root MAY be beneficial in inducing ovulation as it has been used for this purpose as a herbal remedy in many cultures around the world, however there is no scientific proof that it actually works. Some studies have been done however they too have not shown any significant benefit in this particular use.

It is thought it may mimic effects of hormones like estrogen and thus help in symptoms of menopause but as far as ovulation is concerned, it doesnt necessarily help with fertility. However it can certainly offset your ovulation. There are a lot of side effects and it can cause excessive bleeding especially in those patients who have a tendency to bleed. It can cause delay in your periods or even cause them to occur earlier than usual. The hormonal effect of the herb can act in many ways, here is a helpful link about its side effects

Dong quai side effects

So in short, it can effect the ovulation but the evidence regarding its effect on fertility has not been proven. So i think you dont have to worry about getting pregnant if you have used contraception (condoms), there is no concrete proof of it increasing fertility.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think it could have made me ovulate during the first few days of my period?

Not likely, and even if it did and the condom remained intact your chances of pregnancy are very low in that case. So i think you dont have to worry about a pregnancy atleast because of the dong quai.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only took the supplements for a few days plus started my period the day after protected intercourse. I am a worrier.

Well dont worry, i think you are safe given the situation. Secondly since you only took them for a few days their effects would be even lower on the hormonal system in your body and the chances of it causing ovulation are even lower than before. Your chances of becoming pregnant are EXTREMELY low.

Would you like to know anything else?