Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer,
Experience:  Hospitalist Physcian (Internist) at Kent County Hospital
91318447

Someone that i noticed a sore on his lip gave me a quick

Customer Question

Someone that i noticed a sore on his lip gave me a quick peck on my lips. There was no open mouthed kissing and i have no open sores on my lips. I quickly used my hand to wipe over my lips after. What are my chances of having contracted his cold sore if that's what he has?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i take olive leaf extract and multivitamins everyday to boost my immune system
Expert:  Christopher Palmer replied 2 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr Palmer, are you still there? It's amazing that person would even consider kissing anyone if what he had was a cold sore.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i'm still here. Again, i'm not sure if that's what he had but i did notice something out of the ordinary. i was caught off guard by the kiss and quickly pulled away and wiped my lips. Thankfully my mouth was closed so no french kissing. Should i be concerned? If i got infected, when would i notice signs?

If the lip lesion was crusted or seeping fluid then it is far more contagious. This seems unlikely as usually these are painful and the person would not attempt to kiss someone. But even with a herpetic lesion that's not crusted, etc, it can still transmit the herpes virus. There are antiviral ointments you need a prescription for, but I would not worry too much. Symptoms usually take 1-2 weeks to appear. Just keep your lips hydrate, chap stick. Cracks in the lips/dry lips allow for easier transmission as well.

You could always ask that person too. If you know them. Don't be embarrassed, they should be embarrassed for kissing someone IF that was a herpetic lesion. Some people get them so often, they dont even care or dont even notice, especially if they are not painful.

If you start to notice in a week or so, that there is a tingling, or burning feeling on your lip, go right away to your doctor and get a script for Acyclovir or other antiviral ointment, because these are prodromal symptoms before a lesion/blister develops. This will allow you to eradicate it MUCH quicker. I hope I was able to help. Please rate me if you are satisfied and please ask me further Qs if needed and in the future as well.

Any further questions?