Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

I had a mammogram last Thursday that was especially painful.

Customer Question

Hi! I had a mammogram last Thursday that was especially painful. My doctor has said that I now have a strained muscle in my neck as a result of this. I'm in so much pain - from my left shoulder to the side of my head with swelling in my neck. Is this common? I'd never heard of injuries incurred through a mammogram before.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: my left pinky and the back of my arm has a bit of numbness and tingling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: herniated disk at C5-C6 typically causes the numbness and tingling down my arm and hand but I haven't had a recent flare.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 26 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry to hear of your neck pain. What you are describing is most likely coming from your neck (numbness in your 5th digit and arm) caused by the position your were placed in for the mammogram. Apply an ice pack to your neck and begin an NSAID such as Ibuprofen (if not contraindicated due to allergy/GI problems). After 48 hours begin moist warm compresses. If the pain does not resolve in 48 hours you may need to have a MRI with contrast of your neck. Discuss with your doctor.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 26 days ago.

Hi Julie,

Do you have any additional questions or thoughts for me before giving a rating for my response?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 24 days ago.

How is your neck?