Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have multiple fibroids, 15, & all three kinds of fibroids.

Customer Question

I have multiple fibroids, 15, & all three kinds of fibroids. Some are quite large (largest 6cm). Six months ago I had uterine fibroid embolization, and it didn't work. My uterus is still twice the size, and the fibroids didn't shrink. My next option is a hysterectomy or a myomectomy. I do not want a hyst. I want to keep my uterus. I'm in my 40s and my OBGYN told me to get a hyst, said I would bleed to much with myo, etc. I've read elsewhere, however, that it's absolutely OK to get a myo, even with multiple fibroids, if you have the traditional open abdomen myomectomy. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 6 months ago.

I think the best option for you here is a supracervical hysterectomy

this will remove the top of your uterus and keep your cervix intact for sexual pleasure and intercourse. a myomectomy is more complicated than a supracervical hysterectomy and may not completely remove all of the fibroids

15 is a lot of fibroids.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not concerned with the complicated procedure, though I do worry if it's dangerous. I know it's a lot but removing my uterus, even the partial hyst makes me very sad and nervous. Since I got the UFE, I wasn't concerned with removing them entirely (I was really hoping they would shrink more) -- isn't there a way a doctor can perform a myo w/out taking out every fibroid? I would think, depending on location, smaller fibroids are not a problem and the large ones causing the bad and bulk symptoms (pelvic pain, bladder pressure, bleeding) could be taken out. I'm 46, I'm still having a regular period, but I am getting close to the age where they're probably not going to grow back. I think.
Expert:  Dr David replied 6 months ago.

the surgeon may not know what he can remove safely and what he can leave behind until during the surgery itself when he can feel and touch the uterus.

you shouldn't be sad and nervous about having a superacervical hysterectomy

these fibroid will only cause you problems in the future.

best to have them removed with a surgery so you don't have to worry about them bleeding more in the future.