Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had a miscarriage on 13 sept 2016. I was 21 weeks

Customer Question

Hi. I had a miscarriage on 13 sept 2016. I was 21 weeks pregnant. I gave normal birth,didnt need a scrape afterwards.
I had unprotected sex on 20 and 24 sept. What is the chances that i can fall pregnant from that? I have had some bleeding still untill today.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 26 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be very unlikely to get pregnant 7 or 11 days after a miscarriage. Once normal cycling resumes, it takes a couple weeks for a follicle to develop to the point that an egg is released, which is called ovulation. It also usually takes some time for a woman to start normal cycling. While it is theoretically possible that a woman can get pregnant as soon as 2 weeks after a miscarriage, it usually would take longer.

Since sperm can survive in the female genital tract for up to 5 days, it is possible that a sexual encounter 11 days after a miscarriage could cause a pregnancy if ovulation were to occur 14 days after the miscarriage. But since it is unlikely that ovulation could occur that soon, it would be unlikely that pregnancy could result from a sexual encounter 11 days after the miscarriage.

The ongoing bleeding also would make pregnancy less likely. When ther eis ongoing bleeding, the lining of the uterus is not amenable to implantation.

So, it would be very unlikely that you could have gotten pregnant from either of these encounters.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 25 days ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.