Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I haven't had my period in 9 months and i'm not pregnant

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: i haven't had my period in 9 months and i'm not pregnant whts wrong
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I have some cramping not a lot and they are usually irregular by 3 months but not this time and i'm worried
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i've had a uti before but i don't think that this would affect my monthly
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you are 17 year old now & your periods started at age of 11 years.So by this time you should have settled with your menstrual cycle & should have a normal periods now.

As you do not have the periods since last 9 months,this is not serious but is of concern.

The most common causes of missed period are:stress,being overweight or underweight,imbalance of hormones,polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

You need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes. So I advice you to consult a gynecologist for the clinical examination & tests to find out the root cause & then the treatment will be done accordingly.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh