Dr. Ashori
Dr. Ashori, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant.

Customer Question

Hi! My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant. I'm on Adderall for ADHD and I was wondering if there are any alternatives. I definitely need it for work, and I'm nervous to get off of it.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am susceptible to depression and anxiety. I see a psychoanalytical psychologist who does do some CBT work too. That's basically all.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ashori replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am a board certified family medicine doctor, I will be helping you today. Give me a moment to review your scenario.

You are safe to take the medication until you first determine that you are pregnant. Some physicians are also okay with parents taking it up until the 2nd trimester. However, as you know, we prefer patients don't take medications unless they are absolutely vital. In your case what other things have you tried besides adderall?

The only alternative therapies that I am aware of are ingesting caffeine, omega-3 fat, and exercise. The reason for the aerobic exercise is because it will increase your amphetamines in your system which will improve your concentration. The caffeine would do a similar thing. Omega-3 or 6 fatty being studied but are a viable alternative and commonly found in foods.

Hi there, checking in on you to see if you had any other questions regarding the medication and pregnancy?

If you are done with this visit please click on "Rating" and if you have any questions please let me know.

Hope my answers were helpful.
If you have any other questions please let me know.
Otherwise you can close this encounter by clicking on "Rating".
thank you
Dr Ashori