Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am 43 years old, no kids and have had regular periods for

Customer Question

I am 43 years old, no kids and have had regular periods for most of my life. I always have heavy flow the first two days and then it takers off to dark brown by day 5 or 6. This period started 6 days ago and has followed my normal pattern until yesterday when I got home took out my tampon where it was just light brown and 15 minutes later I felt blood just pouring out. I rushed to the bathroom and there were two large blood clots. I put on a tampom and soaked through it in about an hour and then I soon went to bed and there were nothing throughout the night. Today was extremely light and brown and then I got home and the same thing happened to a lessor extent but it's bright red blood.
I should be finished by now so this is very disturbing especially since it's thin and bright red.
I am concerned this could be something serious and want to know some possible explanations to explore. I had a PAP in March which was normal.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 30 days ago.

I think that the 2 most likely explanations for your unusual bleeding are either hormonal changes related to your age or else uterine fibroids. Both are common at age 43. A serious cause of the bleeding is highly unlikely, since you've previously had regular periods, and you had a normal Pap smear in March and presumably a normal pelvic exam at that time.

As long as this is the first time you've have unusual bleeding like this, I think you can just give it some time and see if things become normal.

If the bleeding keeps on for a few more days, then I would see your doctor for evaluation. Fibroids can often be felt on pelvic exam, but sometimes an ultrasound is needed.

If the bleeding is due to hormonal changes, then some progesteone pills will usually help it to resolve. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your response. When I was 35 I had a myomectomy to remove three very large fibroids but they have never caused period problems just bladder issues because they were attached to the outside of the uterus and were pressing on my bladder. I know of only one small fibroid that is inside the uterus so I suppose it could be causing issues. I've not had any abdominal pain with the two nights of bleeding.I have never had the bright red thin blood on the last days before but have had occasional clots.Is the medicine something I would have to take daily?

Progesterone pills you would take for 7-10 days and then stop. That would help to clean off any buildup of the uterine lining due to hormonal changes.

Fibroids on the outside don't usually cause bleeding problems, but fibroids on the inside can do so.