Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is it possible to get pregnant while having an iud?

Customer Question

is it possible to get pregnant while having an iud?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: somewhat
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had 1 previous miscarriage last Nov. D&C in Nov, IUD placed in Jan of this year. No period since Oct 2015. I have Wilsons Disease.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr Love and I will be assisting you today.

Yes, it is possible to get pregnant while using an IUD for birth control, but it is very uncommon. When doctors speak of the effectiveness of any method of birth control, we will refer tot he perentage of women using that method that do not get pregnant in the course of a year. IUDs are considered one of the highly effective forms of birth control because they are over 99% effective. IUDs are one of the most effective forms of birth control.

However, the IUD is not 100% effective. Actually, no method of birth control is 100% effective (other than complete abstinence, which isn't really birth control). But since the IUD is over 99% effective, that means that <1% of women get pregnant in the course of a year.

So, yes, it is possible to get pregnant while using an IUD for birth control, but the likelihood is quite low,

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been having extreme pelvic and abdominal pain for the past two weeks. I went to my PCP and had a urine test, it came back with blood in it. Culture was sent off and came back no infection. The pain is pretty extreme, crampy with pain from from pelvic area to ribs and lower back. I have some nausea but have not vomited. I feel very blotted, have swelling in my feet and legs, cramps in them also. I have gained a lot of weight in the past few months.

Did your PCP perform a pelvic exam?

If so, was there tenderness during the pelvic exam?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no my pcp did not do a pelvic exam. I am seeing my OBGYN on Thursday, just wanting to know what to expect. I know it is very rare to be pregnant with an IUD, but so is wilsons disease (which I have). do cysts,fibroids, etc have any of these symptoms?

There are many conditions that can cause these symptoms, but the first concern after a urine infection has been ruled out is whether there is an infection of the uterus or the remainder of the female genital tract. It is very important that a pelvic exam should be done, so it is good that this is already scheduled.

There are other conditions that can cause such pain. A cyst usually does not cause extreme pain unless there is a hemorrhage into the cyst. Fibroids or endometriosis also may cause pain. Once the OBGyn has first considered whether there is an infection, then there can be an evaluation for these other conditions.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.