Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

A week ago I noticed a lump, slightly larger than a pea on

Customer Question

A week ago I noticed a lump, slightly larger than a pea on my vulva on the side close to my thigh. It only hurts if I put my fingers around it, otherwise there is no pain. My GP looked at it and said it is a Bartholin cyst and it is not infected. However pictures on line show the Bartholin cyst is on the inner lips close to the vagina. Mine is on the outer part of the vulva. What do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos MD
I'm board certified ObGyn. You are absolutely correct. Bartholin glands are one on the inner surface of the r labia minora and one in the left labia minora. If your lump is on the outer surface of the labia majora then it's probably a small sebaceous cyst that will come and go.
It could also be a slight pimple like infection that just goes away without any treatment. I hope this helps you. Thanks for using Justanswer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could it be an early sign of vulva cancer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is not like a pimple, it is under the skin.
Skin cancers are the same as other parts of the body. They are lesions in the epidermal later usually erosions. Sebaceous glands are in the dermis and they can plug. You could get a second opinion even with a dermatologist to reduce your concern. It is not a Bartholin cyst or infection as they get much bigger than a pea. At least walnut sized.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, thank you.
You're welcome. Thanks for accessing Justanswer.