Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

17 years old and i have had my period before yes i am

Customer Question

hey 17 years old and i have had my period before yes i am sexually active but i have taken plenty of pregnancy test they are all negative but i haven't had my period for about 9 months now what could be wrong ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

At what age your period first started ?

Are you taking any pills?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

It's not unusual, especially in the first 3 years after menarche(first period in lifetime), to skip periods or to have an irregular menstrual cycle.At some point as you will grow up,your cycle will probably settle into a recognizable pattern.This usually happens by 3 years after first period.That means if your periods were started at age 14 & you are within 3 years of it,there is nothing of concern.

But if your periods started earlier then age 14 & you have crossed the initial 3 years,and now not having periods since last 9 months this can be of concern.The most common causes of missed period are:stress,being overweight or underweight,imbalance of hormones,polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

You need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes. So I advice you to consult your gynecologist for the clinical examination to find out the root cause & then take the treatment accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know about your periods?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey, i was at least 11-12 when i first started menstruating and no i don't take any pills other than for headaches (ibuprofen)
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you are 17 year old now & your periods started at age of 11 years.So by this time you should have settled with your menstrual cycle & should have a normal periods now.

As you do not have the periods since last 9 months,this is not serious but is of concern.

The most common causes of missed period are:stress,being overweight or underweight,imbalance of hormones,polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

You need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes. So I advice you to consult a gynecologist for the clinical examination & tests to find out the root cause & then the treatment will be done accordingly.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh