Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I have a question with regards to GBS or StrepB. i have

Customer Question

Hi. I have a question with regards ***** ***** or StrepB. i have recently been pregnant and was diagnosed with Strep B and was not treated at the time. I then was omitted to hospital at 28 weeks for bedrest as my cervix had shortened. In the mean time within a two week period I had 4 internal ultrasounds to check the cervix. Can internal ultrasounds transport bacteria (StrepB) up to my baby and if so can this cause a baby to be stillborn? Should they have not done an internal scan.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 month ago.

Group B streptococcus bug is transmitted during delivery of your baby which is the reason why it was not treated.
It is treated around the time of your delivery with an injection of penicillin and that is very effective in stopping transmission to the baby.

Internal scans should be okay.

It would not transmit the bacteria to the baby.

This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards