Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified MD
28323552

I, just turned 49 and missed two periods. I'm usually

Customer Question

I, just turned 49 and missed two periods. I'm usually regular like clockwork. After 1st missed period had 2 negative urine tests for pregnancy and a negative quantitative blood test. Ultra sound yielded enlarged uterus and ovarian cyst 2 cm. Have all the pregnancy symptoms including nausea, sore, enlarged breasts, gas, bloating, frequency in urination, food adversions, tired, dizziness, etc. What does all this mean?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Low dull back pain on left side, slight cramping sometimes but nothing severe. Average periods for past year were every 28 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Last menstrual Cycle was July 23rd and lasted my normal 5 days. Last child was born when I was 39. Healthy and normal. First Cycle started at age 12
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK sounds great!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

The "pregnancy" symptoms that you mentioned are very nonspecific, meaning, that they can happen even if you are not pregnant and usually happen when there are hormonal disturbances going on in a lady's body.

Hormonal changes are very common around the time of menopause which is around 50 years of age for most ladies.

I personally think that most of your symptoms fit into menopausal symptoms and that is what you are experiencing.

There is a blood tests called FSH which can confirm that you are nearing menopause or are going through it right now.

This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that

is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also had FSH blood testing that all came back with normal hormone levels
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

What was the level of your FSH if you remember?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm looking at the results but don't understand how to read them. Can I send you a screen shot?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe I found it: 2.4, Follicular Stage
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

2.4 is not too bad at all actually.

Even though that you are not in menopause but with your symptoms I am pretty sure that your symptoms are due to hormonal disturbance that could have been transient. By that I mean that excessive physical or emotional stress can also cause temporary hormonal changes that may not be shown on a blood test which will settle in due course of time when your excessive physical or emotional stress state improves.

I would also like that you should have your thyroid function checked by doing a thyroid hormone test if you have not had that done already.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wow thank you. I may have been tested for thyroid too, but again unsure. Is there an acronym for the thyroid hormone test? It may be on that report, which shows 'all levels tested' being in normal range. ' That being the case, my cessation of menses over the past two months may be due to extreme emotional or physical distress? I can tell you that my stress levels today pale in comparison to years past and I simply did not miss a cycle, let alone two consecutively. Is there any other explanation?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.

Yes your cessation of menses could be due to extreme physical or emotional stress but this may not be the only reason.

At 49 years of age, even though your blood test for hormones does not suggest much, but your ovaries are going to stop functioning soon, which is something that is also an added factor. So that combined with stress could be the factor.

Kindest regards