Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 2 days late for period (unusual for me) and I have early

Customer Question

I'm 2 days late for period (unusual for me) and I have early pregnancy symptoms but testing negative. Should I see doctor or just wait awhile and test again?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Mild cramping on and off but not like period cramps. My cycles are usually like clockwork. I'm having very amount of pink and brown stringy blood, which I would think might be implantation bleeding but seems really late for that - I ovulates on CD 13 at the latest and I'm CD 28 now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This would be 2nd pregnancy, first was good, at 35 and I'm 41 now
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 months ago.

When your period is late and a pregnancy test is negative, that usually means that you haven't ovulated that month.

Not ovulating is common at age 41.

Assuming that you would like to become pregnant, I would see a doctor. Your doctor could test to know if you have ovulated or not, and if not, could help to be sure you ovulated in coming months. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hmm I doubt it was anovulatory cycle b/c I chart BBT and have clearly biphasic chart. Also my cycles usually are very regular - this would be outlier and it's also the only time I've tried to conceive (I'm a lesbian and used donor sperm so I KNOW it's the first possible pregnancy cycle in years). So late period plus breasts getting a cup size bigger and very sore the first time I TTC seems more like possible chemical pregnancy if I'm getting negative tests.
I was just wondering if it's even possible to test positive after 15 dpo, if I should get a blood test or just wait it out

It could be a chemical pregnancy. It may be worthwhile to have a blood test done for a quantitative hcg. If the hcg was elevated, then you'd know it was a chemical pregnancy.

A pregnancy test will usually be positive 15 dpo if it's a normal pregnancy.