Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

Can a woman receive oral with a diagnosis of H2? I have read

Customer Question

Can a woman receive oral with a diagnosis of H2? I have read a lot about it but still unsure.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: yes I only take the Valtrex when I have an outburst. No otherwise I am a healthy 58 year old sexually active woman who despera
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. A woman who has HSV2 can receive oral sex with minimal to no risk to her partner. HSV2 has a strong predilection for the mucosal surfaces of the genitals only. It does not typically infect the oral mucosa, and those who have HSV1 (which is most of us) have partial immunity already to the closely related HSV2. Many couples in which one partner has genital herpes (HSV2) have a healthy sex life and the virus is never transmitted to the uninfected partner. Taking precautions like avoiding sex during and around the time of an outbreak, using condoms, and taking antiviral medication like Valocyclovir (Valtrex) or Acyclovir further reduces the already low risk of any transmission. The statistics indicate that it’s possible to get your chances of transmitting HSV2 down very low, even for genital transmission.