Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am a 53 year old female, and ceased getting my period in

Customer Question

Good Morning, I am a 53 year old female, and ceased getting my period in November of 2014 (almost two years ago). I had a normal PAP a year ago this month. However, for months now, I have had a discharge...I want to say a yellow, orange color, with no odor and no burning, itching, etc. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it is still possible that you could have a low grade infection of the female reporductive tract, this can cause the yellow or orange color discharge even without the other common symptoms of an infection like odor, burning or itching. If this is the case here then a simple high vaginal swab alongwith a pelvic ultrasound would be useful in diagnosing the problem. Once diagnosed it can be treated with a simple antibiotic course or even with antifungal medications.

Now apart from an infection there are several other causes for the yellow discharge which can include vaginal atrophy or thinning out of the vaginal lining because of menopause, if this is the case then a simple pelvic examination would be diagnostic here and then would be treated with hormonal creams.

There are other hormonal causes for the discharge as well which may include problems with the thyroid gland. in short a discharge like this is not normal and should be evaluated at the earliest by visiting your OB/GYN. I would strongly suggest that you do so.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/